Thursday, January 8, 2009

Feliz Ano Novo 2009!

In the town of Santos in the region of Sao Paulo, I spent a very happy new year. First stop - food!

Claudia's brother's family invited us for dinner in his building, food galore and the most delicious smoked cheese I've ever had. The musical talents of all was released and live Brazilian music was played throughout the night. I, tragically, attempted to join in and display my most utterly useless Brazilian beats on a tambourine. The poor band had to live through two songs and were quite (politely) glad once I gave it up! 

At midnight we walked to the beach, where a huge crowd of people gathered to watch the fire works all along the bay of Santos. It was beautiful and a very rejoicing moment, with tears and laughter and hugs... Conforming with traditions, I jumped over 7 waves and made a wish (as opposed to the Spanish 12 grapes). I can't remember what my wish was but I was so happy that I think I wished for everyone to be just as happy as I was. We left the beach and after little while longer at Claudia's brother's house, we went to her friend's rooftop terrace apartment on the other side of town. 

Santos has two main regions - the canals and the port. There are approx. 7 canals and everything is located in reference to these canals. Where I was staying with Claudia was on canal 3, and the port is after canal 7. The port of Santos is the most important, and perhaps the largest one in South America. It was a major trading point back in the colonial days and still remains a major port on the continent. Santos itself was, I was told, the first town to be declared Brazilian. 

Back to the first hours of 2009. We went to the port side of town, which appears to be growing into a high rise 'uptown' neighbourhood. To be on the rooftop terrace reminded me somewhat of Beirut, except without the threat or the surrounding ruins of war. We had a great time there and I even had my first swim in their pool! 2009 definitely started on a good note. 

I stayed 6 more days in Santos and went out every night with Claudia's friends and family. There is a lot of live music in many places and I got to know fairly well the MBP music, which stands for Popular Brazilian Music, which would correspond to artists such as Djavan and Lenine (I dont know if I got the spelling right). I went to two clubs and in both, everyone dances... no one stands by the wall. There is a constant feeling of celebration and a great capacity to really enjoy the moment. There is no overly self-consciousness and concerns over impressions and displaying one's self. The atmosphere is much more relaxed and focused upon the music and having fun. I can't even begin to imagine what the Carnival must be like! 

Everyone I met in Santos were lovely and Claudia's family especially have a very special place in my heart. After spending 12 days with them in Santos, I grew attached to them and was really sad to say goodbye! Claudia was fantastic, she is a great host and I could never be grateful enough for having invited to her home and taken care of me so well. 

I left Santos on the 6th of January on the midnight bus to Rio de Janeiro - 7 hours and 82 reales (27 euros) later, I was to be in Rio de Janeiro to join Nathalie. 

Yet again I don't have pictures - as they are on Claudia's computer and did not have time to upload them...sorry! 'One day' I will put them all up...I just can't promise when! 

No comments: