Saturday, February 21, 2009

Visit to the Itaipu Dam in Foz de Iguazu, Brazil

Approx the 5th of February...

We visited a dam which produces impressive amounts of energy for Brazil and Paraguay (not Argentina). As the river flows between the two countries, they share the energy. However, Brazil clearly needs more because it is an absolutly huge country in comparisson to Paraguay. From what I remember, the Itaipu dam produces 80% of the energy that Paraguay consumes and 20% of the energy that Sao Paulo consumes. Yet in terms of productivity, Sao Paulo uses 80% of the energy and Paraguay only 20%. Something like that. We visited it and had a little tour in an air conditioned mini van. It was one of the most luxurious days we had! Interesting, but I got to admit that, not being an engineering freak - i was not completly taken away by it. Although we did have a good laugh at the cheesy half hour propoganda video they showed us!

By the way, the Itaipu Dam is named that way due to the history of the formation of the dam. Before constructing the dam, and consequently flooding kilometers of inhabited land around the river, there was a big rock/island in the middle of the river. As the water crashed onto the rock, it produced a sound. The indigenous people living on the banks of the river would hear this and therefore named the rock "Itaipu" which means "the rock that sings".

OK thats all great, but now is my moment to have my little "crisis" and moan and complain. COMPUTERS DRIVE ME NUTS!!!!
Its so great to spend my time away from them, forgetting the sore eyes, headaches and stresses that computers provide, especially when they are slow, old and break down all the time when you don't have the time (nor the pesos) for it!
My blog is over a month behind and I just cant manage to update it. This is partially due to the fact that I dont have time, the computers crashing and or freezing and I dont want to post anything if there are no pictures. Its not fun without pictures, right?
Well its just going to be too bad for all of us, because pictures take a long time to upload AND it just so happens that my USB key, (which is supposed to have all my pictures stored since day one) has a virus. Yes USB keys can have a virus and I learnt it the hard way. I have therefore lost my pictures of Bahia (Brazil), Buenos Aires, Puerto Madryn, Rio Gallegos and Ushuaia (Argentina). And right now none of my pictures can be read from the USB key.
In other words: ESTOY FLIPANDO! Oh how I love to rely on technology for my memories!

No comments: